Wednesday, March 7, 2007

it's not up to me

Well, there are already plenty of places on the Internet where one can find out about music, however, obscure or popular it may be. People far more knowledgeable than I have critiqued bands' artwork. I am, however, a fanatic, perhaps even a freak. Play me a couple seconds of a song and chances are good I will be able to tell you not only who it is but also why the band broke up, what their best concept album was (more on that later), or who they've toured with. I am not so much bragging as I am confessing, acknowledging that, yes indeed, I have an affliction. The story some of my friends of old will tell every now and again: I once tried to kick my nicotine addiction by promising myself that I could spend money that would have otherwise been spent on smokes, on new music. A good plan in theory only. It was inevitable that my addictions would converge, as they did, into buying new music nearly as frequently as a pack of smokes from the store next over.

What pleases the Auricle changes. I don't think I have a say, but I never do complain. Its all cyclical I am noticing. The tastes are varied and often blend. I sense a common thread though, a mood perhaps. I'm still not sure. But I have discovered that there is music to match every possible permutation of emotions available to me. And since I am a slave to my emotions...it would appear that the venom and the antidote are one in the same.

No comments: