Thursday, March 15, 2007

Neon Bible (2007)

I was playing six degrees of separation today with a friend and discovered that I am three degrees of separation from Rasputin and two handshakes from Fidel Castro. All very fascinating, yes. But you should also know that, as it turns out, I am just one make out session from Win Butler of Arcade Fire. Basically, I have practically kissed the lead singer of this band. (Now, if only he were actually David Bowie instead of someone who can sometimes sound like him...wistful sigh).

My wife and I saw Arcade Fire in Asheville, NC a couple years ago and it was one of the funnest (up there with The Flaming Lips) concerts I have been to. I was checking out the tour schedule for this latest album Neon Bible (2007) and found that the closest they will be to my home now is at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, which I might try to make in May with my brother-law.

It took me a few listens all the way through to really find my appreciation for this album, which I have learned is not always a bad sign. I really like Arcade Fire's sound and this album is not a significant departure from their first album. It is a bit darker, the moody instrumentation is complemented by the addition of pipe organs, military choir and a hurdy gurdy. The well crafted introspective and retrospective lyrics and melodic harmonies are joined with the same strong element of pop danceability that is such a definitive part of the group's sound, making the body want to move outward whilst the moody lyrics lead inward. Their sound has developed, becoming more extravagant perhaps, but without changing all that much, which is good (for now, at least). In short, Arcade Fire have a signature sound that has matured. If their first album, Funeral, was a child on the precipice of teenagedom and life changes, then this album is a full on teen struggling to make sense of some of those life changes (not to mention those high school french classes). The mood is heavier, the messages are a bit more sophisticated, but that grandiose pop danceability still connects us back to the child before the storm. In my opinion there are few contemporary bands around that have this kind of unique, developed artistic signature. I look forward to hearing where Arcade Fire is going to go with future work, but this Neon Bible will hold me over until then.

If you want to hear how much Win Butler can sound like Bruce Springsteen, then listen to "(Antichrist Television Blues)". But here is what I think is the strongest song on the album:

No comments: